Our History

The Carlisle Football Club enjoys a rich history in the Saturday Amateur competition.

2011 saw the senior Carlisle Football Club celebrate it's 50th Season Anniversary.

Please see the relevant sections below for some short historical information that has helped to form the grounding for what is today's Carlisle Football Club.

Senior Club History

The sixties


The sixties

The Carlisle Football Club was formed in 1962, initially as a single colts team. Bill Forward and Mick Lee wanted players graduating from the Carlisle Junior Football Club to be able to continue playing together. To achieve this, they set about forming an under 20s side, affiliated with the junior club, and entering it to the Western Australian Amateur Football League. Bob Thompson was the inaugural coach and went on to act as President of the club for a period of 6 years as well as becoming the club's first life member in 1967. Carlisle didn't have to wait long for success, taking out the Colt's premiership in 1963 under coach Peter McGillivray.


The club initially played at Fletcher Park in Carlisle before moving to Streatley Reserve in Lathlain then Redcliffe Reserve, subsequently renamed at the club's request as Carlisle Reserve, where the club has remained ever since. Interestingly, the club's carpark was developed to the dimensions of a basketball court as the boys also played basketball and cricket together and wanted a place to practice.


As the foundation colts graduated from that age group, Carlisle entered its first senior side into the D grade competition in 1964. It enjoyed immediate success, winning the D grade premiership that year and the C grade premiership in 1965. Terry Traynor also became the club's first State team representative in 1964. Promotion to A grade followed in 1967 and, in that year, Tom Rieusett brought the club further prestige, winning the association A grade Fairest and Best award.


The seventies

The 70s was Carlisle's most successful period, with the club competing in the A grade every season of that decade and winning six premierships across all grades. The club grew to contain three senior sides and a colts team and its strength was recognised by being awarded the Association's Champion Club Award in 1972. Other highlights of that decade included John Glenny coaching the colts side to back to back flags in '72 and '73; John Risely and John Hurren winning A grade Association fairest and Best awards; 'Bluey' Watson winning that same award in the Reserves grade and 13 Carlisle players representing the state. Wayne Riekie maintained a steady hand on the helm for much of this successful period, coaching for five consecutive seasons and attracting seemingly endless talent to the club. Another noteworthy event occurred at the end of this decade; a young man by the name of Laurie Sutherland made his debut for the club. Although it would not have been obvious on that day, 'Sutho' would go on to play 459 games for the club over 30 years, a record that it is hard to see ever being beaten. He would also later serve as Secretary and President of club.


The eighties

The success of the 70s proved unsustainable however and, after commencing the 80s in A grade, the club was relegated to B grade after a poor season in 1981. The slide continued; after one season in B grade, the club was again demoted for the 1983 season. This proved to be a successful year for the club, with Dick Manning coaching the senior side to an undefeated premiership in C grade due, in no small part, to a 150 goal season from Bob Byles and the sublime talents of Harley and Don Hayward. The club moved between B and C grade for the remainder of the decade, but was never able to replicate the success of the late 60s and 70s. The colts unsuccessfully contested consecutive grand finals in 1984 and 1985 as well as a further preliminary final in 1986. The club's next success came courtesy of the thirds side, who took out the L grade flag in 1988 under coach John Manuel. The decade finished with a C grade grand final appearance against Osborne Districts under coach Peter Topliss.


A significant milestone in this decade was the erection of training lights at Carlisle Reserve in 1983. These were named for Gary Stickman, in recognition of his hard work in getting the lights built, whilst serving as President in 1980, 1981, 1983, 1988 and 1989, Secretary in 1989 and senior coach in 1982 and 1985. Jeff Dowsons effort in serving seven seasons as Secretary from 1983 to 1988 is also noteworthy. The club was incorporated In 1985, a project driven by Ken Finch which provided the club with a constitution and important legal safeguards for officials and executives.


The nineties

The retirement of key administrators such as Gary Stickman, Jeff Dowson, Ian Callahan and Ken Finch; as well as the loss of a number of good players, made the 90s a struggle for the club. A number of consecutive relegations followed, culminating in the club's senior side competing in G grade by 1995. These problems were exacerbated by the Carlisle Junior Football Club folding in the early 90s. This robbed the club of its main avenue for attracting young players and, as a consequence, Carlisle was unable to sustain a viable colts team. Between 1991and 1996, the club could not field a colts side and was reduced to only two senior sides. The club did manage a finals appearance in 1995, the first since 1989, finishing the home and away season in second place but then going out in straight sets. One of the club's most successful coaches, Wayne Reikie, returned to the role of senior coach in '97 and '98, but this time with limited success. The club recognised Mary Sutherland as its first female life member in 1998; Mary would repay this honour with many more years of service as an administrator and club matriarch. On the field, the standout player of the decade was Terry Dunlea who served 8 years as club Captain, received six Fairest and Best awards and an Association Fairest and Best as well as having significant involvement with the work of the committee.


The noughties

The club made a bright start to the noughties, with coach Mark Grogan leading the senior side to an E grade preliminary final in 2000 and the grand final the following year. 2002 was characterised by the inconvenience of extensive clubroom renovations at Carlisle Reserve. Indeed, it was not until the final fixture of the season that the club was able to play at home and enjoy the new facilities. That season also saw the introduction of a new playing strip, with the long standing green with maroon stripe being replaced by a maroon and white jumper with the cougar emblazoned across the front.


A period of onfield instability was ended in 2006 with the arrival of Dennis Fare as senior coach. Dennis occupied this role for five years, overseeing considerable change in the playing group and becoming the club's second longest serving coach. 2007 saw an important milestone for the club, with Peter Drew brokering an affiliation with the Victoria Park Raiders Junior Football Club and reforming the colts side. Fittingly, the club's next success would come courtesy of the colts side, who took out the premiership in 2009, with Sean Ritchie at the helm as coach. This was the club's first colts flag since 1978. The Reserves side also made the grand final that year, led by Alan Tyler, but fell at that final hurdle. 2010 was a remarkable season for the senior side, just scraping into the D grade finals before going on an unprecedented winning streak to compete in the grand final. It is telling that the grand final side featured 10 players who had come through the Vic Park Raiders juniors into the Carlisle colts, then seniors; compelling evidence of the importance of the link between Vic Park and Carlisle.


The 2000s saw further major improvements to the club facilities, with an additional light tower and new lights installed at Carlisle Reserve. The club also made a concerted effort to better integrate itself into the community during this time. This meant increased efforts to bring aboard local businesses as sponsors, the continuation of memorable social functions and the introduction of regular Thursday and Saturday evening meals for members and guests. Guy Lanza as President and Bill Felton as Secretary played important roles in these developments.


The club celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2011, a gala event that recognised 5 'Teams of the Decades'. Sadly, being around for 50 years inevitably means that some club stalwarts will fall along the way. Terry Dunlea Snr and Mick Lee are two of the champions of the Carlisle Football Club who were sadly missed on that night. Today, Terry's endeavors as, among other things, a long serving barman are recognised in the naming of the club bar as the 'Terry Dunlea snr. Bar". The club also celebrated its silver jubilee by reintroducing the 'heritage strip' to be worn for home games.

Junior Club History

The Carlisle Junior Football Club has not been inexistance since............

Superstars and Legends come out to play - May 7, 2011

A very succesful game of previous Carlisle Football Club "Superstars and Legends" was held at Carlisle Reserve in May.

In front of a large crowd of an estimated 500, the old boys had some fun and even a few kicks whilst re-living past heroics.......